Monday, October 23, 2006

Music, Art and Sports

Artistry, musical ability and athletic gifts find their home in his person and he was ambi-dextrous as a child. Someone commented how Jai drew a straight line with one hand and continued it with the other hand, without pause, break, hesitation or wavering. Before he could even talk he would say the title of the song, "We are the World" from hearing just the first note. So sharp was his hearing and his recollection of how the song starts that I found it absolutely uncanny. Also as a young child of maybe 2 or 3 he would point out locations and directions while riding on a motorela around Cagayan de Oro City. He could dance before he could walk. I am not kidding. Using the window sill for support and standing on our bed, he would dance while I sang, "Careful, careful. Dapat tayo laging careful".

He was in Grade IV when I first saw him play basketball. Guarding a much bigger player, he completely intimidated his charge that the bigger boy could not do anything to help his team mates. In Grade V his mom enrolled him in a Judo class. Rapidly advancing, he gained an advanced belt even though he was too young to be awarded such distinction. I had the pleasure of watching him one time when I fetched him from Judo practice. The instructors were absent and in their place Jai was asked to conduct the class being the one with the highest belt and this included exercises and sparring. He commanded respect without even trying and it amused me no end to see how older boys and girls who were of high school age obeyed the commands being given by a Grade V pupil.

He inexplicably dropped Judo and no one could dissuade him from this decision. His instructor pleaded with me to get him back to practice. "If you had only seen your son as he flipped my son who is 175 lbs, like a piece of paper" said Ed, his instructor pleading with me to exert my influence to keep Jai in the Judo program. When I asked about his decision he merely said he wanted to do something else and that was the end of that. What he had his eyes on was to play electric bass.

Ching Recommends visiting Dumaguete by way of Ira-a's, Db-a's and Hf-a's Directories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Contact Lenses
Free Cell Phones